At the west end of the church under the tower stands the church chest. In 1559 Queen Elizabeth 1 ordered that a chest with three different locks be provided in which to keep the registers and other important papers of the church. The Vicar kept one key, and the churchwardens the other two. The result was that no one person could open the chest, all three had to be present. The present chest was purchased in 1728 from William Cox for 10s-0d (50p). The three locks cost 2s-0d (10p), and the clasps 7s-6d (37½ p).

The parish coffer contained the usual parish papers - books of accounts, apprenticeship indentures and a warrant for the burial of a fel-de-se at the crossroads.