The ORGAN

organ

 

The organ is thought to have come from Chipley Park and was bought by the Churchwardens for £87 in 1821. It was originally a one manual (keyboard) instrument and was built under the tower in the 18th century. It was later enlarged to a two manual instrument, with pedals and was moved to its present position when the Sanford's extended the church in 1869. The swell is believed to have been manufactured by Vowles of Bristol in the 19th century, and the bellows engraved J.R.T. were made by John Robert Toms of Wellington. The carving on the front of the organ case was once part of the rood screen in the Hillfarance Church.