painting of interior by Barbara Hoyle



In the report of a survey of the church written by Edmund Rack in the 1780s he described the pulpit and reading desk as being all of “neat panelld wainscot.” The present pulpit is 19th century (probably from the 1869 restoration) and originally there were scroll pieces between the front pillars as can be seen in a water colour painting of the church by Barbara Hoyle [shown below] painted in 1928. The two bolts on the top rail indicate where candlesticks formerly stood.