Extract of ACCOUNTS 1668-1684

In 1292 the rectorial tithe was worth six and a half marks. A mark was a bar of silver, weighing about half a pound. The tithe at this time went to the Taunton Priory and one of the monks would have served as the parish priest. After the reformation the tithe reverted to the crown. In 1554 Queen Mary presented a vicar to the parish. Queen Elizabeth 1st presented three vicars in 1564, 1567 and 1570. James 1st presented one vicar in 1618. Charles 1stgave the vicarage to Nynehead in 1638. Charles 2nd presented two vicars, William 3rd,George 1st, George 2nd, and George 3rd also presented vicars to Nynehead. The last vicar to be presented by the Crown was Dr. Thomas Bovet in 1786; after this the patronage came into the Sanford family until the late 20th century. The value of the living in 1695 was £8-7s-11d but by 1788 it had risen to £70. In 1923 the vicarial tithe was £225 per year, with residence and 11½ acres of glebe land for farming.

An extract from the churchwardens accounts for 1680 reads:

         
  Paid a man and a horse for one days work   3s 6d
  3 days work on the bells   4s 0d
  Parish Clerk's wages £2 10s 0d
  Tending and working stones for the church building for 3 weeks and 3 days £1 6s 0d
  Paid a boy for 15 days work making mortar and carrying stones   13s 9d
         

This is an extract from the Churchwarden's Accounts for 1682.

         
Feb 20th It. for fower Hogsheads and halfe of Lyme to ruf cast the church £1 1s 4d
  It. for six burshells of heaire and fetching   4s 8d
  It. for 2 harffes and a man one day to fetch graivile to ruf cast the church   2s 6d
March 3rd It. for fower scoare and five foots of boards to make a cradle to rufe cast ye tower   10s 7d
  It. fower pounds of Board naile to make It.   1s 8½d
  It. for five bushels of Heaire to plaster the tower and fetching It.   3s 1¼d
  It. for fower Hogsheads of Lyme and fetching   18s 0d
  It. given them in Beare while ruf casting   2s 6d
  It. paid John Burt towards the ruf casting of the church and tower £3 10s 0d
         

Village stocks.

It seems there were village stocks in the church yard at one time whose maintenance were the responsibility of the church. In the Church Wardens account of 1679 there was a reference to the stocks being repaired.