DE WYKE

de Wyke

 

The de Wyke family lived at Nynehead Court in the fifteenth century and made various additions to the church most notably adding the South aisle in 1410 and the chancel arch in 1412 and the rood screen and stairs in 1480.

A memorial tablet, shown left, to Richard and his wife can be seen on the north side of the altar and the inscription reads:

Heere liethe interred Richard Wike of Ninhed in the county of Somerset, esquire, who died 17 of June, 1590 being then of the age of 65 years and Margaret his wife, daughter of George Role of Steventon in the county of Devon esquire who died 12 of August 1578, being then of the age of 41 years and parents of 17 children, vie, 6 sonnes and 11 daughters.

The first record of the de Wyke family appears in the Barons' Charter of 1166 in which Thomas de Wyke is returned as holding two knights' fees in the County of Somerset of Robert, Bishop of Bath. The historian Collinson suggested that the de Wyke family were seated at that time at Wick (or Week) St. Lawrence and took their name from the parish. However this is thought to be incorrect because Week St. Lawrence then formed part of the great Manor of Congresbury that had been held directly by the crown from before 1066 and this manor was not granted to the Bishop of Bath until the time of King John (1199-1216). Furthermore in the 14th century the two knights' fees held by later members of the de Wyke family can be identified as relating to the Manors of Milton (by Wells) and Wyke (by Yatton). It is reasonable to assume that Thomas de Wicha held the same two manors in 1166. The name Wyke is derived from the old English 'wic' meaning a dwelling, building or collection of buildings for a special purpose, a farm, a dairy farm and in the plural 'a hamlet or a village'. The use of the word Wick in the sense of a dairy farm was very common in the 13th and 14th centuries.

The de Wyke family held the manor of Nynehead as well as the Manors of Milton and Wyke. Although the family disposed of the manors of Milton and Wyke by 1356, they continued to own the manor of Nynehead until 1590, when Richard de Wyke, the last of the de Wyke family of Nynehead, died.