CHURCH RENOVATIONS

In 1869 the church was closed for major restoration work and extension. During the time of closure, services were held in the Orangery of Nynehead Court.

The restoration involved the removal of all the horsebox pews, which were replaced by modern oak pews. The Mortuary Chapel and organ chamber were built on the North side of the church. John Robert Toms moved the organ from under the tower to its new chamber, where it was enlarged.

In 1912 the north wall of the nave were rebuilt, replacing some of the original 13th century work.

Interior by Hoyle

In a 1928 painting of the interior of the church by Miss Barbara Anne Hoyle [see above] the interior lighting was shown to be from chandeliers. The main lighting appeared to be from 6 candles mounted on blue base ring and there was a smaller version mounted above the pulpit consisting of 4 candles. There were obviously chandeliers positioned in the main body of the church hanging on chains fixed to the ceiling, the one above the pulpit hung from a bracket fixed to the top of the rood screen. Miss Hoyles picture shows scrolls on the front of the pulpit that are now missing.

In 1959 tie bars were placed between the walls of the nave in order to stabilise the building.

The church was rewired in 1968.

The nave was re-roofed in 1971. The roof at that time was in need of repair and the church had to sell one of the treasurers in order to finance the re-roofing. This was a marble tabernacle which was let into the south side of the west wall (as can be seen from a painting of the interior of the church by Barbara Hoyle 1928). The tabernacle was a Mino da Fiesole marble and was the work of Mino Di Giovanni (1431-1486). He was born at Poppi in the Casentino and had property in Fiesole. The sculpture was remarkable for its gem like finish and extreme delicacy of detail. Mino da Fiesole made a marble tabernacle for the Holy Oils for a church in Italy; it was so lovely that the order was given for a replica for another church. In the centre of the tabernacle is a small painted figure of Christ. The church in which this replica was placed was bombed during the first world war and the original is believed to have been the one in Nynehead. The tabernacle was given to the church by the Rev John Sanford in 1830. The tabernacle was sold to Cardiff Museum in 1970 in order to finance the extensive restoration of the church at that time. The National Museum in Wales purchased the tabernacle for £12,500. The restoration included completely re-roofing the nave, work on the stonework of the tower, repairs to the south wall and re-wiring.

In 2005 a hearing loop was installed with an enhanced sound system thus conforming to the disability discrimination act.

The bells were reinstated in 2009.