As well as being a Registered Charity the Memorial Hall is included in the National Inventory of War Memorials.
During the Second World War, a series of social events were arranged, held mainly in the school, with the aim to provide a fund to assist families of any members of the Armed Forces from the village who might lose their life serving their country.
Fortunately all returned and so a public meeting was called to obtain views on how the money raised should be spent. It was agreed that after giving a gratuity to each serving person, the balance should be put towards a lasting memorial in the form of a village hall. Bolnore Estates (then owners of Hornshay Farm plus a large proportion of surrounding property and land) was approached and they kindly offered the site but with a condition that should the hall cease to be used as such in the future the land would revert to them.
On 28th September 1948 a small group of villagers – Mrs W.M.Pugh, Messrs F.G.Atyeo and W.T.Baker, Mr & Mrs T.Luxton and Mr & Mrs L.Sparks travelled to Torquay where a number of timber buildings, occupied during the war as offices for Prudential Assurance, were being auctioned.
A local builder, Mr C.J.Rowland accompanied the party to give advice and having decided that one would be suitable, Hut No.15 was purchased at a cost of £310. After dismantling and being transported back to Nynehead the re-erected ‘village hall’ was ready for its official Opening on Saturday 15th April 1950. The final cost was £1580 and a bank loan was obtained for the majority of this with Messrs W.T.Baker, T.Luxton, T.Stevens and L.Sparks standing as Guarantors.
It was 1960 before the full loan was repaid and then alas in 1963 a major expense arose with the necessity of a new floor at a cost of £278. Out of the red once more by 1967, a Trust Deed of Appointment naming Nynehead Parish Council as Custodian Trustee of the Foundation was drawn up with the day to day running of the Hall being conducted by a Management Committee as it is at present.
Credit: Betty Sparks